Sometimes, things just don’t go to plan and Daredevil was a good example of this. I knew what I wanted to achieve, (I’d like to say it was a dark, gritty, Man without fear, but that would be with hindsight) and how to go about it, however, the execution what somewhat lacking. Here’s how it went.
For starters, I wasn’t keen on the pose of DD, standing on the top of a gravestone like that. The bases are pavement/roads and so it was going to look a bit odd sticking out of one of them. I know I could have considered basing him on grass/soil, but it wouldn’t have matched the boards I play on like all the others do. I could have mounted DD on something else and did think of putting him on the dustbin instead, but in the end, due to a lack of vision on my part, I just went with what was.
Secondly, there was his suit. It’s segmented, unlike the comic book hero’s and more like the DD of the movies, which was disappointing for me, but Hey Ho!
So, after priming him a mid-grey, I applied a coat of Darkoath Flesh Contrast paint. This is something I’ve been experimenting with on the Mansions figures, though usually over a white prime. The idea is that the contrast paint provides the pre-shading for a glaze, and so far, it’s worked really well. I’d primed grey this time, as the glaze would be red and I didn’t want it appearing pink, which a white prime would have given.
This is where things started to go awry. My intention was to apply three different shades of red using the airbrush, from below, horizontally, and above, just like Zenithal priming/basecoating, and I’d done it several times before to good effect. However, I also wanted to try out my new paint set…
I bought Scale75’s Blood and Fire Red paint set some time ago, as I wasn’t happy with the variation of reds I already had, which tended to be too pink or orange for my liking. I’d used some of the colours with a brush and was pleased with how they went on, though the colour change from wet to dry caught me out, as it did on DD, but I’ll get to that later.
Now, Scale75 paints use a gel medium rather than water, which is why things might have been about to go wrong. I mixed up a glaze of Deep Red in my airbrush, as I normally do, and tested it on a piece of white paper, everything appeared fine, so off I went. After my first pass I thought things didn’t look quite right, but it took a few moments for my hands to catch up with my brain, by which time I’d already applied the initial Zenithal layer. Unfortunately, it wasn’t a nice fine glaze, more a normal, thinned down layer of paint, far too opaque for what I wanted, and it almost obscured the contrast paint underneath.
Well, no going back from here. I sprayed the other two glazes, first Blood Red, again I still hadn’t got the mix right, and then Flat Red. The Flat Red was a Vallejo paint, and it glazed no problem, blending better, as it was so thin.
I decided to reapply the contrast paint to give me back my shading, and to some extent it worked quite well. I highlighted up further with more Scale75 paints, Antares Red and Aldebaran Red, with a brush this time. The scale paints are lovely to layer, but again, I got caught out by the amount of colour change from wet to dry – they darken a lot more than other paints I’ve used. In the end, I should have added another layer or two of brighter reds, as he looks darker than I’d originally intended; a darker, somewhat grittier Man Without Fear shall we say!
The gravestone was a bit of an experiment for me. Basecoated Heavy Charcoal, I then stippled it with Heavy Warmgrey then drybrushed with Deck Tan, Bonewhite, and finally Ivory. I then gave it a wash of Athonian Camoshade and Agrax Earthshade, allowing the two to mix whilst wet.
That’s about it really. Everything else went as planned and was straightforward enough. Daredevil’s one of Yasmin’s characters, and she was very pleased with him, and that’s what counts. So, it all turned out all right in the end!
I had a few issues taking the pictures of DD. First off, my camera’s batteries died and I like the poor photographer I am, I didn’t have any spares. So I resorted to my trusty iPhone. Still, I had issues. With him being all red, I just couldn’t get the exposure right and the images weren’t great. I used two different backgrounds, black and white, but the contrast was off. In the end I adjusted the contrast on the white background but it makes DD’s colours hard to see. So, here are the black background pictures, please let me know which you think give the best representation of DD.