I love the character of Drax in the Guardians of the Galaxy movies, though I much prefer to try and keep my characters representative of the comics, and it was there I turned for a colour scheme.
I have only one memory of him from the comics and it’s a recent(ish) one, this one…
I was searching through the web, as you do, looking for inspiration when I came across the above image and instantly thought, I’ve seen that somewhere before. I have a couple of boxes full of comics and I was sure it was in there somewhere but try as I might I was blowed if I could find it. I think it’s from the later comics, 2015-16, but I don’t know for sure. Anyway, this is what I decided to base my Drax on.
I’ll start by saying, I’ve never had to repaint parts of a miniature so many times before. Boy! Did this colour scheme give me nightmares!
His skin and tattoos proved the easiest part, which I was surprised at. His flesh was built up using four base colours – Heavy Green, Snot Green, Goblin Green, and Escorpena Green – and then a mix of these to blend. After a bit of advice from Jeff (Kuribo), I went back and darkened the shadows a little to give more contrast. The tattoos were based with black and built up using Blood, Antares, and Aldebaran reds from Scalecolor, leaving the edge black for definition.
My problems started when I turned to his trousers and boots. For his trousers, I originally went with Heavy Violet layered up with Alien Purple and Heavy Warmgrey, and they did look pretty similar to the comic image above, so I was pleased with that. Then I did the boots and greaves, which, as you can see in that image, are grey. I used a base of Pale Blue followed by a blue wash, then layered up with Pale Blue and Bale Grey Blue. I wasn’t so happy at this point!
Whilst I was pleased with the individual elements, they just didn’t work together, it all clashed. I didn’t think the trousers, which were violet, and quite a bluey-violet at that, worked with the green flesh, and the grey boots didn’t work with the colour of the trousers either. So, I glazed over the trousers with Vallejo Violet ink, which is more of a purple leaning more towards red than the Heavy Violet, at least in my opinion. Interestingly, in the the photos the trousers look blue, but sat here looking at the actual figure they look purple with shades of blue – who says the camera never lies!
Whilst I was happier with this, the glazing had reduced the contrast, so I went over the shadows with Blue Ink and highlighted with Pale Blue. It now didn’t resemble the colours of the original image, as it had done before, but I felt the purple worked better with the green, however, the boots and greaves were not right at all, they were far too light in colour.
In the end, I darkened them using glazes, first Dark Blue Grey and then added some Grey Blue to darken things further. A final edge highlight of Pale Grey Blue and I was done.
I’m still not convinced the colours all work together, but then, when I look at the original comic image, I don’t think they work there either. The green flesh with the violet trousers and the grey boots, I dunno, it just looks odd to me.
One last thing. Every time I look at his face, I want to dot those eyes, but in all the comic images I’ve looked at he doesn’t have pupils, and so I keep resisting the urge!