Leia had been sitting in her little box for some time, right next to one containing Chewbacca. So, taking pity on her (let’s face it, nobody wants to be cooped up next to a Wookiee for too long), I put her together and, taking the card art as inspiration, added some colour.
Along the way I took plenty of photos on my phone so I could talk through the process, as well as post updates on Facebook.
After a quick Zenithal Prime I basecoated the flesh in Tan (VGC – Key at end of post) and whilst that dried I also did the hair in Dark Rust (VPA). I always try to do the hair at the same time as the face, preferably before I apply the highlights, as I’d rather touch the hair up than the face if I muck up.
The hair was drybrushed with Heavy Sienna (VGCEO) and again with Dark Fleshtone (VGC). I then lined it in using Germanic Black Brown (VMC).
I also chose to do the eyes at this point.
Next I started blocking in the highlights using Elfic Flesh (VGC).
Then I applied Pale Flesh (VGC) as a mid-tone – basically, going around the edges of the highlighted areas.
Time to start bringing it together. Using the three colours, I made up various glazes by adding a little water and some glaze medium. I then played with these, running them over the areas, blending them together, until I got the result I wanted.
The longer spent on this the better the results, but at some point you have to say enough is enough. Being a Commander, I went a little further with her than I would for a trooper, but she isn’t a work of art if you inspect too closely.
Moving on, I started basecoating the rest of her. The shirt in Deck Tan (VMC) and Jumpsuit in Ultramarine (VMC).
Her belt is actually a very dark green, but I forgot to write down which one, so we’ll go with black, which I used for the other odds and ends. Whilst I had the black on my palette I watered a little of it down and lined her in, then tidied any messy areas.
I obviously got a bit carried away with the next bit, as I forgot to take pictures, but it was only the shirt. I washed it over with Umber (VGCW) and then restored the Deck Tan where I wanted it; I also made a glaze of the Deck Tan and glazed over the whole shirt to blend the shadows in.
For highlights, I started adding Ivory (VMC) to the original colour, eventually finishing with pure Ivory.
I then covered the jumpsuit in a wash, which I’d made from Dark Blue (VGC), then restored the Ultramarine and started highlighting by adding Glacier Blue (VGC).
here’s where I remembered to take pictures again..
Making a glaze of pure Glacier Blue, I started to work up the highlights.
The black bits were highlighted in layers using German Grey (VMC) and Sombre Grey (VGC), with edges finished in Pale Grey Blue (VMC).
I finished the base in the same way that I did the troopers, gave her a quick varnish, and another one done.
Here’s how Leia finished up…
I suppose I’d better go and let Chewy out of his box at some point!
- VGC – Vallejo Game Colour
- VPA – Vallejo Panzer Aces
- VGCEO – Vallejo Game Colour Extra Opaque
- VMC – Vallejo Model Colour
- VGCW – Vallejo Game Colour Wash
2 thoughts on “Star Wars: Legion – Leia Organa”
Very nice, Justin! 🙂 I enjoyed following your method as well!
LikeLiked by 2 people
I’ll try and do it more often, it helps me remember what I did if nothing else!
LikeLiked by 2 people