There’s been little happening on the hobby front just lately, as free time has been in limited supply – more of this in my end of month geek. In the meantime, as I’ve managed to grab some computer time, I thought I’d catch up on a few things I painted a while ago, starting with the Formless Spawn. ‘But where have the Serpent People gone!’ I hear you cry, or at least that’s what I hear in my head. Well, yes, they were finished before this one but I’ve yet to find the time to base them on their transparencies, though I am now in the process of doing so.
So, the Formless Spawn, a monster from the Horrific Journeys expansion. A blob, all eyes and teeth, there wasn’t a lot to go on from the creature’s game token and so I had a look what others were doing. One caught my eye, painted in purple and green using washes, and it really stood out as being a little different. I decided to go with something similar.
First though, it was zenithally primed, which would give variances of shade to the washes. I started with the green areas, using Vallejo’s washes for a change, as I find them better for staining than my GW ones. I then mixed Red and Blue together to get a violet colour and applied this over the veined areas once the green had dried.
The, let’s call it a mouth for want of a better word, was washed first in Sepia and then in Red. Once the Red had dried, I added some Dried Blood to all the recesses. I don’t know where I got the idea to do that from, but I’m pleased with how it looks – nice and gory!
That was it for the majority of the figure, nice and simple.
The eyes were Sol Yellow, washed with Agrax Earthshade and then highlighted with the original colour again. The teeth were done in a similar fashion but using Ivory – they were then highlighted further with Dead White.
I really enjoyed painting this one. I’ve never been a fan of washes, as they don’t usually behave how I expect or want them to, but this came out alright. I would normally have used ink and there probably wouldn’t have been much difference other than I’d have applied the Violet whilst the Green was still wet, as I find inks more controllable when wet blending than washes.
I’ve painted the two Star Spawns, and the Ancient Basilisk is under way, then it’s finally onto the characters, hurrah!
I have yet to order transparent bases big enough to fit the Star Spawns on, so it could be some time yet before I post them up, but it shouldn’t be long before I get The Serpent People based so look out for them. I have, however, managed to complete MCP’s Sin, though it was a bit of a rush job – and so she’ll be up next…ish!